1 1/2 oz. fine-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped.
1/4 cups prune juice.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour.
3/4 cup sugar.
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg.
1 large egg yolk
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Position rack in the middle of the oven, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. and set liners in muffin cups.
2. Put the chocolate and prune juice in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave on low power, stirring occasionally, until completely melted.
3. Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg and yolk with an electric hand mixer at high speed until slightly thick and lemon colored, about 3 minutes.
5. Slowly add buttermilk, oil, vanilla and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until thoroughly combined.
6. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined.
7. Divide the batter among muffin tins, filling them 1/2 of the way.
8. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean and the tops spring back when pressed gentlly, about 25 minutes.
9. Cool the cupcakes in the tin on a rack for 10 minutes then remove from the tin and cool completely.
Decorate with choice of frosting.