1 cup Plum Amazins™
3/4 cup Whole hazelnuts
2 cups Whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup Cocoa powder
1 tsp Instant espresso powder
2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup Sugar
2 each Large eggs
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 cup Bittersweet chocolate chunks
1. In a bowl, soak the Plum Amazins in warm tap water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
2. Preheat an oven to 350°F. Toast the hazelnuts until lightly fragrant, about 10 minutes. Rub the hazelnuts between a dishtowel to remove some of the skins (It’s not necessary to remove all skins.). Using the back of a sauté pan, crush the hazelnuts until some but not all of the nuts are cracked in half or in quarters.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three stages, mixing briefly in between each addition. Mix in the Plum Amaz!ns, chocolate, and hazelnuts until just incorporated. Let rest for 20 minutes to allow the flour to hydrate; this helps alleviate some of the dough’s stickiness.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half (each half will be about 525 grams). Shape each half into a log about 2 inches wide and nearly 13 inches long. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Brush the tops of the loaves with the beaten egg white.
6. Bake the loaves for 35 minutes or until firm on top but before the bottoms darken too much, then transfer to cooling racks. Lower the oven temperature to 300°F. Once the logs have cooled to a warm room temperature, (after at least 30 minutes), use a serrated knife to cut the logs on a bias into 3/4 inch-thick biscotti. Lay the biscotti on the baking sheets and bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Working quickly to avoid burning your fingers, flip the biscotti over and bake for 5 to 7 more minutes.